Vanilla cupcakes with strawberry cream cheese icing:
I even made the heart-shaped fondant toppers!! Fondant toppers have terrified me for the longest time, but they are shockingly easy to make--tutorial coming soon!
Heart-shaped sugar cookies with royal icing:
These are from my favorite local cookie boutique--Lily's Cookies.
Home-made marshmallow pops:
I decided to make marshmallows from scratch! They taste amazing!! I'm never using store-bought marshmallows again!! The recipe and a quick tutorial is below.
My little helper was having trouble waiting until the party!!
Home-made marshmallow pops (tutorial):
To make these heart-shaped marshmallow pops, you'll need:
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 packets of unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 12 oz regular sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red food coloring
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Nonstick spray
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Lollipop sticks
- Red/pink sugar sprinkles
- Place the gelatin into the bowl of a stand mixer (with the whisk attachment) along with 1/2 cup of the water. Let sit.
- Meanwhile, combine 1/2 cup water, sugar, corn syrup and salt in a medium pot, with a candy thermometer clipped to the side. Place over medium high heat and cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees F, approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
- Turn the mixer on (low speed ) and slowly pour all of the sugar syrup into the gelatin mixture. Increase the speed to high. Whip on high speed until the mixture becomes very thick, approximately 12 to 15 minutes. The mixutre will still be lukewarm. Add the vanilla and food coloring during the last minute of whipping.
- While the mixture is whipping, combine the powdered sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Lightly spray a 13x19 inch metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add the sugar and cornstarch powder and move around to completely coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Return the remaining powder to the bowl for later use.
- Insert lollipop sticks into the marshmallow hearts. Dip the tops in a solution of one part water and one part corn syrup, shake off exceed liquid and dip in sugar sprinkles.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Here are photos from the party, using Bird's party printables!